Make and Play in a day
One day workshop adapted for all ages includes:
- demonstration of puppet styles and techniques.
- making a quick and easy puppet
- learning puppet performance skills - focus, movement/action
- end of session performance
Demonstration of different puppet styles - glove, rod and string,
and a basic history of these puppets and how they are used around
Tips for puppet performance
• The three rules of puppetry are focus, movement and voice.
Puppets need to focus on what they are doing for the action to come
alive. Their movement, e.g. running, walking, dancing, needs to
be clear. The voice is usually found through the character and movement.
• Each puppet has its own character depending on how it is
made, the emotion expressed on the face, its movement – fast,
slow, heavy etc -- and the voice.
• Puppetry is ideal for transforming from an everyday event/situation
to a magical/dream scenario.
• Create simple scenery using cloth, paper, tables, found
• The puppeteers in performance do not need to be hidden.
A variety of materials can be used employing a variety of techniquesfrom
scrap, scrunchy paper, photo montage or found objects.
Learn basic puppet performance techniques and perform short scenes
devised by the group.
|Ages ||Suitable for 6 - 16 years |
||half day to full day session
|Suitable venues ||Schools, youth groups and arts centres |
|Availability ||All year round |